Community Noise Mitigation
The Community Noise Mitigation Program is designed to address communities impacted by military fixed wing aviation noise for the purposes of installing noise mitigation at covered facilities. Covered facilities are:
- daycare facilities,
- facilities serving senior citizens, and
- private residences.
Authorized under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2022 (Pub. L. 117-35) Section 8120, the program provided $75 million to remain available for obligation until September 30, 2025. The funds must be expended by 5 years after that obligation. The funds are allocated with $56.25 million to Active military installations and $18.75 million to Reserve component installations, of which $5 million shall be for communities near a military installation that has transitioned to a new type of aircraft after January 1, 2019. Request for funds can include meeting the Federal match requirements under the Federal Aviation Administration Part 150, Airport Improvement Program as needed.
Community Noise Mitigation Program – Open for Public Comment
The Office of Local Defense Community Cooperation announces a Forecast Notice of Funding Opportunity Notice for the new $75 million Community Noise Mitigation Program is now open for public comment. Interested parties will have until 5 PM PDT, October 13, 2023. View the forecast here and provide public comment here.
It is imperative for communities, aviation facility sponsors, and other potentially eligible parties to review the proposed eligibility criteria, application requirements, eligible activities, recipients, and timelines for this program.
Eligibility and Requirements
Entities eligible to receive a grant include States and local governments.
Eligible Community Noise Mitigation projects are any covered facility that:
- are located off of a military installation;
- consist of communities impacted by fixed wing military aviation noise for the purpose of installing noise mitigating insulation at covered facilities;
- are eligible facilities located within one mile or a day-night average sound level of 65 or greater of a military installation or another location at which military aircraft are stationed, as determined by the Department of Defense or Federal Aviation Administration noise modeling programs; and
- are construction-ready.
Notional Community Noise Mitigation Milestones
- Mid Apr 2023 – Draft Internal Coordination
- Aug 14, 2023 – Publish Draft Notice of Funding Opportunity Forecast (60 Day Public Comment Period)
- Oct 13, 2023 – Comments Due
- Nov 3, 2023 – Publish Final Notice of Funding Opportunity (90 Day Response Time)
- Feb 1, 2024 – Responses Due
- Mar 7, 2024 –Scoring Complete
- Spring of 2024 – OLDCC Awards Grants
For updates about the program, sign up here.
Department of Defense Noise Resources
- Community and Environmental Noise: A guide for Military Installations and Communities
- Department of Defense Instruction 4165.57: Air Installations Compatible Use Zones (AICUZ)
Federal Aviation Administration